The building now known as Oliver's Carriage House was constructed in 1811. It served as a barn and stables for a huge mansion on a 550-acre estate called "Oakland," located in central Howard County, Maryland near the old Columbia Turnpike (what is now US Route 29).
In 1827, Robert Oliver, a wealthy Baltimore businessman, purchased "Oakland" for his son, Thomas, who was a breeder of race horses. Given the large size of the Carriage House (91 feet by 36 feet), its stylish construction and prominent location, it would have been used to house only the finest horses.
At that time, the lower level of the two-story wood and stone building held carriages, a harness room and a granary, along with individual stalls for the horses and a dung pit. The upper level was used for hay storage.
Thomas Oliver sold the "Oakland" property in 1838, and it had a succession of owners down through the years.
In 1972, Kittamaqundi Community Church purchased the Carriage House, which had fallen into disrepair.
Renovations were begun the following year, and church services were first held here after those renovations were completed in 1977.
A new floor and two lofts were added to the second level. Finished woodwork and a stone fireplace were added to both floors.
Three of the horse stalls remain on the lower floor.
In recent years, an elevator was added to the Carriage House, and a memorial garden was created on the grounds to honor church members who have passed away.
In 2014, we created a Sacred Garden that features a pond with waterfall, magnificent trees and colorful landscape plants, and a grand archway. It is the perfect setting for quiet reflection and meditation, or celebrating a special occasion with friends and relatives.